Reporting Fran Lane
View the city from the beautiful Patterson Park Pagoda. Open Sundays through October, from noon to 6 p.m. Completed in 1890 by Charles H. Latrobe, the Observatory, better known as the “Pagoda,” is one of the best known landmarks in Patterson Park. Located on the west side of the park near the intersection of Patterson Park Avenue and Pratt Street, this octagonal Victorian structure has a spiral staircase that leads to three levels, each providing great views of the city. Operated, maintained, and staffed by the Friends of Patterson Park, the Pagoda is free and open to the public.